Interested in our Summer Volunteer Programs? We Have the Details
“Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, what are you doing for others?”
– Martin Luther King, Jr.
Was there ever a time when a friend or loved one helped you through a difficult period in your life? Do you remember how much their presence and assistance meant to you? Maybe it was through a summer volunteer program.
Now, you have the opportunity to provide that same type of caring concern for someone else who may be facing some of life’s most challenging moments. At 3HC, we have summer volunteer programs that benefit both hospice patients and those who may be grieving the loss of a loved one.
Volunteers are an important part of who we are at 3HC. These amazing individuals make a dramatic difference in the quality of life for those in hospice. As a result, our patients’ last weeks are more meaningful and peaceful.
Volunteers are also crucial to the success of our Wings Camp for children who are grieving the loss of a parent, sibling or other loved one.
We’ll provide some information about our summer volunteer program, how to sign up to volunteer for 3HC Hospice, and what our volunteers do to help patients.
Summer Volunteer Program Opportunities with 3HC Home Care and Hospice
While volunteer opportunities are open throughout the year, our summertime volunteer programs provide an additional opportunity to help young children through our Wings Camp.
What is the 3HC Wings Camp?
Wings Camp, organized by 3HC Home Care and Hospice, is a compassionate and nurturing program that aims to provide support for children who have experienced the loss of a loved one. With a warm and welcoming atmosphere, Wings Camp offers a safe space where young hearts can find solace and connect with others who share similar experiences.
What Role Does the Summer Volunteer Program Play in Wings Camp?
At Wings Camp, dedicated volunteers play a crucial role in creating an enriching experience for the campers. These compassionate individuals bring their skills and enthusiasm to help facilitate various activities, ensuring that each child feels supported and cared for.
During the camp, volunteers can assist with therapeutic activities that may include:
- Engaging in group discussions
- Leading arts and craft projects
- Helping provide a safe space
- Supervising recreational activities
- Assisting with team-building exercises
- Encouraging campers with games and other activities
In the spirit of fostering a supportive community, volunteers also play a vital role in ensuring that the logistical aspects of the camp run smoothly. This can include assisting with:
- Event setup
- Office tasks
- Meal preparation and cleanup
Wings Camp holds a special place in the hearts of everyone involved. By offering their time and energy through this summer volunteer program, volunteers contribute to a nurturing environment that empowers children to process their grief, discover resilience, and find comfort in the company of others who understand their journey.
How To Be a Wings Camp Volunteer
To become a volunteer with our Wings Camp as part of our summer volunteer program, simply complete an application.
All candidates must agree to an extensive background check. In addition, COVID-19 vaccinations are required unless you are approved for an accommodation, such as an ADA-covered medical condition.
While the Wings Camp is a summer program, 3HC Home Care and Hospice is also looking for volunteers year round to help hospice patients.
What Do Hospice Volunteers Do?
Here are some of the key duties that hospice volunteers at 3HC may perform:
- Companionship: Volunteers offer a compassionate presence and engage in conversation. In addition, they may help by reading, or simply sitting with patients, providing comfort and alleviating feelings of loneliness.
- Emotional support: Volunteers lend a listening ear and provide emotional support to patients and their families. As a result, they are creating a safe space for them to share their thoughts and feelings.
- Respite care: Volunteers may provide temporary relief to family caregivers by staying with the patient. This allows the caregiver to take a break, run errands, or attend to personal matters.
- Practical assistance: Volunteers can assist with various non-medical tasks such as light housekeeping, meal preparation, and running errands for the patient and their family.
- Supportive presence: Volunteers offer support during the final stages of life, providing a calming presence and helping individuals feel more at ease.
- Vigil sitting: Volunteers may sit with patients who are actively dying, offering comfort, and companionship during this profound and sacred time.
- Bereavement support: Volunteers may extend their support beyond the patient’s passing by providing bereavement support to the family, offering comfort and resources to navigate the grieving process.
These dedicated hospice volunteers bring immense compassion and support to patients and their families, enhancing their quality of life and ensuring that they receive the care and comfort they need during this sensitive time.
Interested in Being a Volunteer? Here’s Where You Can Get More Information
At 3HC, we treat our patients like family. But our sense of family extends far beyond them. It also includes our wonderful, dedicated volunteers and members of our healthcare team.
We would love to welcome you to our team family and help you make a difference in the lives of so many—whether you want to be a year-round hospice volunteer or participate in our summer volunteer programs.
Simply complete this volunteer application to get started, and a member of our staff will contact you.